(ANSA) – BOLOGNA, OCTOBER 1 – A worker fell to his death when the roof of the building where he worked on the Opera near Milan gave way on Friday.
The head of the industry association Confindustria, Carlo Bonomi, said: “You can no longer die in the workplace, prevention is necessary”.
A farmer was crushed to death when his tractor overturned in Abruzzo on Thursday, the 14th death in three days.
Gabriele Grosso, 72, was killed instantly in Mosciano Sant’Angelo near Teramo.
Another farmer who worked his hazelnut field in Roddi near Cuneo had previously met the same fate.
Also on Thursday, a 56-year-old construction worker died in a ten-meter fall from scaffolding on the roof of a building near Reggio Emilia. The accident occurred in the hamlet of Borzano, a district of Albinea.
A man was crushed to death by a truck near Verona Wednesday night, the 11th workplace death in Italy in two days, officials said on Wednesday.
The man died immediately in Cologna Veneta, it was said.
Five men were killed at work in Italy on Wednesday, after six on Tuesday.
Thursday’s accident at work data disproved the recent spate of workplace deaths that Prime Minister Mario Draghi has labeled a massacre.
The spate of deaths on Tuesday and Wednesday spurred Draghi to announce immediate and tougher penalties for those who violate occupational safety standards.
However, INAIL industrial accident insurance said the death toll from industrial accidents actually fell 6.2% to 772 in the first eight months of the year.
However, reports of all work accidents from January to August rose 8.5% to 349,449 compared to the same period last year, INAIL said. (ANSA).
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA