The Glass House in New Canaan presents its own architect Philip Johnson

0

Glass House Presents at New Canaan Library provides an overview of the architecture and writings of the architect Philip Johnson with a presentation by Professor Jeffrey Lieber, Associate Professor of Art History at Texas State University and author of a book entitled, “Flintstone Modernism or the crisis in American postwar culture. ”His work was published in 2018 in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Press.

The live webinar will take place on Monday, November 8th at 6 p.m.

Zoom credentials are provided upon registration on newcanaanlibrary.org.


Professor Lieber will examine Johnson’s writings from the 1950s and 1960s and ask whether Johnson’s approaches were an expression of camp sensitivity?

Were his statements about beauty and history an expression of queer yearnings?

By addressing the issues while taking into account his commitment to politics in the 1930s, Lieber highlights Johnson’s stance on the mainstream cultural and ideological imperatives of the post-war era.

Lieber’s essays and reviews have appeared in the publications of Architectural Histories, Texas Architect, and Harvard Design Magazine.

His wide-ranging interests in the field were supported by the Delmas Foundation Grant for Independent Research in Venice, Italy, and are reflected in his curation of film series at the Harvard Film Archive and the New School in New York City.

He received his bachelor’s degree from Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, NY and his PhD in art history from the University of Michigan.

He teaches at Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas.

Glass House Presents is an ongoing series of talks, performances, and other live events that expand the site’s historic role as a meeting place for artists, architects, and other creative minds in the spirit of Johnson’s own creative spirit.

The event is co-hosted by the New Canaan Library and supported in part by Connecticut Humanities and the New Canaan Community Foundation, NCCF.

The Glass House was built and maintained by architect Philip Johnson between 1949 and 1995 and is a National Trust Historic Site located in the city.

The 49-acre pastoral landscape includes 14 buildings including the Glass House (1949) and features a permanent collection of 20th century paintings and sculptures, as well as public programs and temporary exhibitions.

For more information about the event and to register, please visit the Glass House website at theglasshouse.org.


Source link

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply