SHILLONG, Jan 29: The Meghalaya government has asked the new contractor of the proposed five-star hotel on Jail Road to complete the project by this year.
The project has been in limbo for years due to several issues.
“I have told the contractor that he must definitely complete the project within this year,” City Affairs Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar said on Saturday.
The State Cabinet last year scrapped the Marriott Hotel agreement previously signed with HM Cements and signed a new 30-year contract with Maxim Infrastructure & Real Estate Pvt Ltd to complete the project.
Dhar said there are some minor issues and changes in the agreement with the construction company are needed.
According to the terms of the new deal, the project must be completed by October 2022.
Once the work is complete, the Marriott Group will be able to operate the hotel on a trial basis for a few months before opening to guests.
HM Cements should have completed construction of the hotel within 27 months of work beginning in 2010-11 when the Urban Affairs Department leased the property for 30 years through a public-private partnership.
However, the company defaulted on repaying the loan. The National Company Law Tribunal then took over the project, which Maxim Infrastructure won through a bidding process.
The agreement with Maxim was amended to remove a clause stating that the office of the Shillong Municipal Board would be housed on the hotel premises. This happened because the government had allocated a plot of land at Bivar Road for the board’s permanent office.
The upcoming hotel will have around 200 rooms with the most modern facilities.