The new $ 175 million, 1,500-seat theater in the South Bank Cultural District will open to the public in 2023, a year later than previously expected.
However, the Queensland government has denied any cost or time overruns on the project due to COVID-19 and changes to the final design that are set to make the Queensland Performing Arts Center the largest of its kind in the country.
The “world-class” expansion of the center, dubbed the New Performing Arts Venue, was first announced in May 2019 and is expected to allow 300,000 additional visitors to see 260 more performances per year, with a glass facade, new studio space and transparent foyer areas.
It was expected to cost $ 150 million, including a $ 25 million contribution from QPAC, which was hailed as the largest investment in state art infrastructure since the Gallery of Modern Art in 2013. Completion was “targeted” for 2022.
That goal was set in the December budget papers in late 2022, which showed the total state contribution had increased by an additional $ 25 million, bringing the total project cost to $ 175 million.
However, QPAC CEO John Kotzas said Thursday from the website to provide an update on developments that began in mid-2020, saying work is “on time” with the theater always opening in 2023 target.
“After the building is completed, there is still some work to be done to make all the mechanisms work,” he said, referring to a “modern … electronic flight system” designed to lift objects in and out of the theater’s performance space.
Though an opening date in 2023 was not previously mentioned, Art Secretary Leeanne Enoch reiterated an opening date earlier in the year, saying the 2022 date won’t be until when construction is expected to be completed.