Construction worker jailed, beaten with cane for molesting elementary school girl after he pretended lost and ‘scared’


SINGAPORE – Around 7:30 p.m. on one of his days off, a construction worker spotted a teenage girl alone as he exited Farrer Park MRT station.

He followed her, asked her for directions to the Mustafa Center, and then tricked her into walking him to the mall by pretending he was “scared” to go alone. He molested her on the way there.

On Wednesday (May 18), the 34-year-old Bangladeshi was sentenced to 10 months in prison and three strokes of the cane for molesting the 11-year-old girl.

Ramim, who is known by one name, pleaded guilty a count of the indignation of modesty. He has a work permit and has been working in Singapore for seven to eight years.

The girl’s name may not be revealed due to a court order to protect her identity. She is an elementary school student.

The court heard that the incident happened on January 23 of this year.

At around 7:30 p.m., Ramim saw the young girl walking past him as he exited the Farrer Park MRT station.

Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Nicolle Ng said after spotting her he turned and followed her.

Before the young girl entered the City Square Mall, Ramim approached her and asked her where the Mustafa Center was.

She gave him directions but he continued to follow her into City Square Mall where he again asked her for directions to the Mustafa Centre.

This time the girl ignored him. Ramim then asked where she was going and she said she was going home.

Ramim continued to follow her as she exited City Square Mall. At a traffic light, the girl asked him to go in a different direction to get to the Mustafa Center.

DPP Ng said: “(Ramim) told the victim that he was afraid to go to Mustafa Center alone and asked them to take him to Mustafa Center. The victim said ‘okay’.”

At this point, Ramim held the girl’s left arm as they walked towards the Mustafa Center.

He then moved his arm from the girl’s left arm to her right shoulder and touched her chest once as they crossed the street.

After they reached the Mustafa center, the girl said “bye” to Ramim and quickly ran home to tell her parents what had happened.

At around 9 p.m. the same day, the girl lodged a complaint with the local police station.

Research revealed that Ramim usually visited Mustafa Center or Sentosa Island alone on his day off.

Ramim claimed he held the girl’s arm to help her cross the street because he injured his toe and was having trouble walking. However, surveillance footage taken at the Farrer Park MRT station and City Square Mall showed he appeared to have no trouble walking.

On Wednesday, Ramim, who had no lawyer, pleaded for leniency, saying he had to send money to his mother to buy medicine.

“If your honor could forgive me, I would have saved my family from trouble,” he said through a court interpreter.

Ramim’s prison sentence has been backdated to March 1, when he was first arrested.

Outrage over decency is punishable by up to three years in prison, a fine, caning or a combination of these penalties. If a crime is committed against a person under the age of 14, the prison sentence can be extended to up to five years.


About Author

Comments are closed.