Melbourne’s historic The Jam Factory district on Chapel Street in South Yarra could be converted into a $ 1.5 billion mixed-use district following an updated proposal from Bates Smart, Townshend Landscape Architects and Leonard Design Architects.
The proposal includes four residential towers, a hotel, and commercial, retail and entertainment areas. With a two-story square and an amphitheater, a new bourgeois space is created. The proposal also includes a series of alleys based on an original 1864 master plan for the area.
The listed facade of the original building will be retained, and new commercial and residential buildings will be erected above it.
âThis is a significant mixed use because the combination of its components – hotel, retail, residential, cinema and commercial – results in a larger whole. Together there is a multiplier effect, âsaid Bates Smart Director Simon Swaney.
âIt is an important cultural site in Melbourne, a part of urban life in South Yarra, a very important artifact of the industrial heritage of the area.
The jam factory was originally built as a Victorian brewery in 1858, the building was used almost continuously as a factory for a variety of canning companies – including the famous Henry Jones IXL jam company – until the 1970s when it was remodeled by Peter McIntyre Architects and into one Rebuilt shopping center. It was bought by Melbourne-based investment manager Newmark Capital in 2015.
In 2020, Newmark Capital signed a contract with Gurner and Qualitas to supply the residential and hotel components of the project while retaining the commercial and retail components.
The project is expected to be completed in 2025.