Ashui Pavilion / HML architecture
Text description of the architects. The Ashui Awards was established in 2012, which is a prestigious award in the Vietnamese construction industry. The Ashui Awards are compared to the “Oscar” of the Vietnamese architecture and construction industry. These events honor architects with outstanding work and affirm the role of architects in society. At the same time, valuable new architectural works are recognized, respected construction companies, high-quality civil engineering firms, real estate investors and developers with outstanding contributions to society are recognized. It can be said that this is a rare competition that has a positive impact on the development of the construction industry in Vietnam.
For over 10 years, the award has helped connect members in the fields of architecture – construction – urban development in Vietnam. In addition, promoting positive creations that contribute to community development and social progress. The competition organizers have built an exhibition space to honor the authors and winning works and to present the prizes to the public. The venue is the Temple of Literature, Quoc Tu Giam, Hanoi. This temple was the first university in Vietnam, which is almost 1000 years old. This place is also a potential place to organize activities related to Hanoi’s creativity in the future and to realize the brand: “Hanoi, the creative city” recognized by Unesco in 2019. Featured Location: Front Garden of Thai Hoc House, Temple of Literature, Hanoi. The outdoor exhibition stage introduces the nominees of the 10 award categories and the award-winning individuals and groups.
Concept – The Temple of Literature has the tangible values of architecture and the intangible values of the Taoist spirit, which is a unique material that should be honored. We regard the entire Temple of Literature as a perfect exhibition space, a highlight of Hanoi. The additional stage acts as a prism with a modern perspective reflecting all this value as a message to preserve and develop the heritage’s importance for future generations. Inspired by the image of the Khue star, the symbol of literature, Khue Van Cac is where the ancient poets always wanted to enter, marking it as the name of many ancient bards. Ashui Pavilion 2022: The Khue, appeared and shone in the Temple of Literature honoring the individuals and collectives who have won the 2021 Ashui Awards and legacy of the Temple of Literature.
The circular stage is articulated by transparent glass panels placed in the center of the courtyard in front of the Thai Hoc house. There are 2 entrances to the square stage area in the middle. The award winners and award winners stand on the podium. Spatial arrangement with the concept of harmony between heaven, man and earth in the theory of Tam Tai (Heaven, Earth and Man) of Eastern philosophy. On the glass wall, the circle illuminates the entire stage area. The surrounding space is reflected in the circle as a backdrop for the stage, allowing visitors to interact directly and acting as installation art. In addition, the event took place when the Covid epidemic broke out around the world and in Vietnam. So the circle and the glass wall are the symbols of the social division in the Covid area. Public space has lost its sense of human connection. Thus, this design adapts to the current social context.
Technical solution – Due to the construction of the monument, the technical solutions must be installed independently without affecting the monument. The Khue exhibition space is a collection of elements:
– The buildings of the Temple of Literature
– The steel frame system hangs the nominees’ A0 board until the final round of awards
– Glass circle of light as the winner’s stage
- The architectural works of the Temple of Literature in Thai Hoc Courtyard include Tien Duong Thai Hoc House, Huu Vu House, Ta Vu House and Thai Hoc Gate. These buildings were specially designed for lighting to emphasize the architectural values of the Temple of Literature.
- The 13m diameter circle is combined by 20 full size safety glass panels (1.84m x 2.44m), 2 layers of 8.38mm thickness bonded together by 10mm 300mm wide tempered glass panels . This glazing system is mounted on a 10mm thick corten steel plate, with soft joints to conform to the uneven floor of the Thai Hoc House. A white painted steel border is placed on top of the glass columns, the lower lighting surface is a transparent ceiling with 6000k white LED lights, CRI 90, which acts as a connection to the top of the flat glass panes. The use of corten steel plates (steel directly oxidized with properties that change with the weather and time) creates the “color of the times” as the supporting base, the delimitation of the floor and the glass circle with the concept of transition between the values of tradition in the future.
- The steel frame system for hanging A0 panels is made of solid and thin steel according to independent modules of 2.4m length, softly connected to each other in 4 rows along 4 square sides of Thai Hoc courtyard, the stage circle is in the middle. The entire center of the circle and square is on the Shinto axis of the Temple of Literature.
- The exhibition will be held for 1 month for the public and people who love art to enjoy. Materials such as unheated double-glazed glass and steel are pre-calculated to be reused after the exhibition.