According to Surfside Beach, the pier’s work stoppage was issued due to rumors and bad information

0

SURFSIDE BEACH, SC (WBTW) — An official from the city of Surfside Beach told News13 Wednesday that a pier work stop was issued due to rumors and bad information.

The work stoppage orders on the pier and the buildings connected to the pier are two separate orders. Construction of the pier has resumed, but it is unclear exactly when construction of the buildings will resume.

City Manager William Shanahan told News13 the order was issued as a precautionary measure after rumors surfaced that permits and licenses were improper. But it was found that whoever reported the information had confused the name of the construction company – Consensus Construction – with the name of another construction company – Concensus Building.

The primary contractor – Consensus Construction – had a proven track record of having the necessary permits. Shanahan said it was due to misunderstandings.

“Long before any of us came here, Consensus had been working in agreement with them [Labor, Licensing and Regulation] and they brought in an already licensed subcontractor, so it was fine,” Shanahan said. “You haven’t done anything wrong. We haven’t done anything wrong. Only nobody knew about this agreement.”

The pier’s work freeze was lifted about a day after it was issued.

“We reviewed that information, forwarded it to LLR and they said everything was great and we immediately retracted that,” Shanahan said.

John O’Brien, president of Consensus Construction, said the delay cost them something and they are ready to start building as soon as possible.

“The cost between the shipping company and us, the general contractor, is probably between $20,000 a day,” O’Brien said.

“You have crane operators, you have equipment, you have superintendents, submarines, all of which had to be demobilized from the site,” O’Brien said. “We had to get her back. We’re really looking forward to getting everything approved, getting the disruptions and restrictions out of the job so we can knock this thing out for the city.”

O’Brien said despite the delays, the pier is expected to be completed as early as spring 2023.

News13 has filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the city for more information on this latest situation with the pier.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.